Friday, October 26, 2007

My Failed Trip To Nagoya Castle

I know I said the next article would be about strange Japanese English, but I decided I could get some better pictures for that article if I go walking around and searching for it over the weekend (tomorrow or Sunday). This article is about the trip a friend I took to Nagoya Castle.
I got to my friends apartment around 12 in the afternoon. Unfortunately we could not leave because my friend was waiting for a package from a Japanese meat delivery company. It arrived around 3pm, but we still did not get to leave until around 3:30...So we were off to a slow start from the very beginning. First we went from Sakurayama to Sakae to transfer buses (we decided it would be a better trip if we took the bus-you can see stuff that way). Anyways, it turns out that there are three number 1 stops on the map at Sakae...probably because having only one number one stop wouldn't be logical (our bus was suppose to leave from the number 1 stop according to the map). These stops are not close to each other, so we walked to all three of them and checked the bus schedule. However, none of them had the bus to the castle (or so I thought). So, my friend (Marni) and I walked back to the map. Apparently, the other number one stops were not in Sakae (despite the fact that they were on the map), but rather in a place that is 5 minutes walk from Sakae. The actual stop was 7 minutes from the Sakae bus station (in another Sakae bus station). To recap, the 2 bus stations in Sakae are further away than the neighboring bus stations in a region by Sakae (which I can't really tell the difference). By the time we got to our bus stop, we found that the bus didn't actually come for another hour, so we decided to walk around and see what we could find. We came across this interesting place that had a fountain on top of a 6 story platform (pic below)

After getting on the bus, we went to Shiyakusho (I think...the name of the place where the castle is). By the time we got there is was getting dark.

But, I thought we could still see the castle. So we walked around the perimeter, but the view was completely blocked by trees. So, to try and keep it from becoming a complete loss, I decided to climb the wall and sneak in the castle.


But, unfortunately the rocks are not very stable and I had to give up my attempt in the fear that I might destroy Japanese heritage.

Speaking of that, the castle is not the real castle. It was rebuilt after being destroyed by US bombing raids during WWII. In fact, the place that I live now used to have a temple there (there is a new one on top of the building, but the older one was a big temple), but it was also destroyed by US bombing raids around the same time. I spoke with the head monk of that temple and he told me that, since he was against the war he did not care that the temple was destroyed by US bombing raids.
Anyways, I'm very busy at the moment so I don't have time to make this article interesting or explain in detail. I will try and post the strange English article soon. Later.
Thanks for reading.
-Ben

3 Comments:

Blogger Celso Satoshi Sakuraba said...

マジかよ?!?(笑)

U went the whole way to the castle and didn't C it?!?

U hav to go early!!! I closes around 4p.m., I think...

Well, Nwyz... U learned something abt Nagoya bus system: DO NOT USE IT!!! lol, the subway is way easier and faster! And not much more expensive!

BTW, later U R gonna explain me the meaning of what I wrote... Hope it's not waht I'm guessing...

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Ben! I'm so sad coz you're leaving earlier than I though! And unfortunately, I'll not visit you in US. I'll use my sister's plane ticket through London (she works for British Airways, that's why I'm visiting you guys in JP). Well, hope to visit u, wanna travel around Texas!! ; )
No problem dear, I don't pay for the tickets (only the taxes) so I can plan to take some days off and spend great moments in USA!!! btw, my visa is okay until 2011!! so I guess we can have fun!
anyways, I am really sad coz I won't meet you! Truly!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Flavia,
Well, anytime you get a chance, come visit me in Texas...I could even pick you up at the boarder (but there is no way I will agree to DRIVE into Mexico!) Besides, you probably have other friends in Texas (right???). I know Celso does (in fact, if there is a place in the world that Celso does not have a friend living in, I would be surprised. He went to New York and met people he went to school with by accident!!!) Well, I can always keep up with your Flog.
Adios
-Ben

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home