Thursday, December 27, 2007

Trip to Kyoto

A couple days before I left Japan, some friends of mine put enough money together and sent me to Kyoto (sort of like a going away gift). Actually, I had already planned to go, but did not know if I would have enough money because of repairs that I may have had to pay for at my apartment building (actually, as it turns out, I did not have to pay and would have had enough money...but didn't know until a week after I had returned home). Had I known that I would not have had to pay for repairs, I would have done a lot more before I left Japan. So along with Paul (from Ecuador) and Momoko (from Japan), I went to Kyoto. We went to 2 different places (unfortunately I cannot remember the names of all the places, but I have them writen down in a book...that I don't have at the moment).





The first place that we went to was the five story pagoda (I'm not sure if I spelled that correctly). There were a few ancient temples there, but I could not take pictures of the inside because it was not allowed. In fact, one was not even allowed to draw pictures of what was inside of the temples. We did not go inside the 5 story pagoda. There is only one day of the year that people can go inside, and even then, only one the first floor. It was pretty nice. I like seeing historical and cultural things from Japan. (By the way, I wanted to load more pictures, but my parents computer take forever to load pictures...so I don't have the time.)
Next we went to an ancient shrine. It was very nice with all of the Fall leaves, but it is a manufactured nature. Momoko pointed out how everything was manufactured and was not real nature, but rather man maid. It seems that the type of nature that Japanese people enjoy most is the type that they manufacture, and actually it is pretty nice. I enjoyed it. But can you really call it nature if it is not natural? I wanted to see the golden pavilian, but there was not enough time.
Here are some tips if you are visiting Kyoto:
(1) It may be cheaper not to buy a 1 day pass (1200 yen) and just pay the travel fee.
(2) You will have to use the buses with everyone else, because the subway does not take you to all of the places that you want to see...Therefore expect it to be too crowded to sit on the buses and see people hanging out the does and windows of the bus (so that they don't have to wait 20 minutes to catch the next one). I keep waiting for the day that one of these crowded buses is in a fatal accident and hear on the news "two buses collided in Kyoto today. All 518 people on board the buses were killed." If you didn't get that joke, a bus is suppose to carry about 50 people.
(3) When you read in books that 'Japanese people where doctor masks when they catch colds in order to protect other people from getting a cold,' what they really mean is 'Japanese people where doctor masks in the middle of cold and flu season to protect themselves from catching a cold since they use the mass transit system and do not have the habit of covering their mouths when they cough on other people...this is void if they already have a cold, then they do not wear a mask (or if they have allergies, they were them in the summer to protect themselves from pollen).' With this knowledge, you as well can keep from catching a cold on the mass transit system in Kyoto (or anywhere in Japan for that matter).
(4) Just take the shinkansen (bullet train), unless you like long trips by bus or train.
(5) Kyoto is a big tourest destination (all year round...foreign and domestic) and tourists eat out for breakfast, lunch and especially dinner, so be sure to make reservations for dinner.
(6) Learn a little Japanese while you are there...although, even if you speak Japanese they will try an answer in English (whether you like it or not).
(7) Try to enjoy it. Even though there will be a crowd, it is worth going.
(8) You are not allowed to take pictures of certain things or inside of certain places...reason unknown. Be careful not to do this.
Anyways, I enjoyed my trip. I was only able to go thanks to all of my friends. Maybe I will go again one day.
Well, Christmas is over and as expected I got a little money. Unfortunately, I don't get to spend it on what ever I want. I'm stuck using it to pay for the deposit and first months rent on my new apartment (which I will likely only be at for about 6 months) and eventually (I think in Febuary) my car payment and insurance. I'm still a but busy taking care of things for school...these next few weeks are going to be busy. If I can, I will write another article before Jan 15th (probably about Christmas and New Years), but it may be after that. The weather here is still changing a lot from day to day. It won't stay cold until mid-Jan I think. I don't think there will be too many pictures in the next few posts...I need to get a USIM card before my camera will work (or I need to buy a new camera). If any of my friends are reading, I hope everything is going good for yall and that yall are having a great holiday season. See you around.
Adios
-Ben
(No quote this week.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

n

12:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ben, hope you're having some good days back to your country and family/friends. Heard that Marni wants to visit you! Is it true??
I'm planning to study at States for 1 month, haven't decided yet but thinking about it. I have a chance to study at California university or another one, can't remember which one was but it'll be only next year! take care dear!! adios

8:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey ben, how are you man?
How is Texas and Plaestine there..
How is your family, i hope everyone is fine.
Happy new year dude..
tell me about your study and the new University, hope that everything is fine..

1:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man iam wael and this is my yahoo mail:
waelah1981@yahoo.com

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home