Saturday, June 17, 2006

Nagoya, ShawShank Redemption、Japanese Study






I I-must express my dislike of Japanese keyboards. I can easily (by accident) change to font to write in Japanese, but it's difficult to put it back into English (the spacebar is also small). Anyway, this weeks article has pictures of Nagoya from the International Student Center(ECIS), how I made some people watch the Shaw Shank Redemption and my brilliant idea of how to get better at Japanese fast.
First, since they are so hard to controle I have posted pictures of Nagoya. The view is from the 4th floor of the ECIS building (where I have Japanese class). Unfurtunately, because of all the haze one cannot see very far. However, I have seen it on a clear day and I cannot tell where the city ends and the mountains begin. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to take a picture on a clear day for atleast a month because the rainey season has started. I think I will do an article about places I visit often and take pictures of my University etc...
Okay, the top picture are some people that I made watch the ShawShank Redemption with me. I tried explaining some of the symbolism that I thought that they would not understand (and sometimes I don't think that some of their English was good enough to understand some of the parts). That is when it hit me. The ShawShank Redemption had Japanese subtitles...I have the entire movie memorized. Now, if I just read the subtitels and memorize the Japanese (I will know the movie in 2 languages) I will improve my Japanese greatly I think. I just have to find a place to buy the movie. But where can I find it I wonder??? I think I am going to do that. Maybe I will even go and look for it tomorrow.
The other pictures are of Nagoya as seen from the University (which is somewhere in the center of Nagoya). It is very unfortunate that it was hazey, because one can see the mountains in the background when it is not. I will take pictures of historical places around Nagoya when I have a chance. I will have to convence one of my Japanese friends to go with me. It should be fun (and of course their will be pictures).
Last night I went out to eat at a resturant that had an American menu (and it was not that expensive-I think I will go back sometime soon). It was not bad, but they don't really cook meat until it is well done here (mine had blood on it still-not just the inside). I'm still a bit busy. I have language exchange and basketball practive tomorrow and I am suppose to read the next chapter of my textbook.
For some reason in Japan I like to talk about Texas. Maybe it is because Texas is famous even here. I see alot of Texas influence in many different places here. I had to give a presentation in Japanese class the other day about some place people visit in my country. So, ofcourse they ment my state (the others could talk about their country, but I would only talk about my state). It was really easy because of the history of Texas. There was to much to choose from, so instread of choosing a historical place, I chose an amuesment park (Six Flags). That was fun. Before we give presentations, we have to write down vocabulary words that we have not learned in class. So, one of my vocab. words was Texas. What I wrote to explain what Texas is:

'Texas-A state in America that is bigger than your country.'

Yes I wrote America because that is what the Japanese call the USA, I always call it America when I am in the USA aswell. It's fun to joke with my other friends that are from the South America-i say 'I'm from America,' and they say 'so am I' and I tell them that they are not from America they are from Brazil or Equador etc...they sort of resent it a little, but they know it is a joke and they laugh. I could write that Texas is bigger than your country on the vocabulary list, because all the students that I know at the ECIS center (all that take japanese classes) ARE from countries smaller than Texas (Indonesia, Cambodia, Equador, Japan, England, etc...). It's fun to joke about it atleast. I also want to add how much I am beginning to hate soccer. It can't be that great, but people watch it all night-making lots of noise-just like father when he watches the Steelers play (Happy Father's Day dad-I didn't forget). It is annoying and I cannot sleep because of the noise. I'm going to try and call my little sister in a little while, I just need to find some 100 yen coins to do it. I've been meaning to send everyone postcards, but I am just to busy. I have the post cards and they are addressed. I just don't have time to stop by the post office and get them stamped. Sorry! Well, I'm going to go study. So talk to you later.

And here is the quote of the day:
Since I watched the ShawShank Redemption (and even though I am not a believer) the quote is from the Bible, here is a bible quote from the movie;
'What there for ye know not when the master of the house comith.'

-Mark Ch.13 V5

Hausta Luego mi muchachos

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you believe Andy actually crawled through all that sewer waist? That goes to show you what DETERMINATION and PATIENTS can do for a man.By the way, that is one of my all-time favorite movies. The Green Mile is another great one. HEY,here is an idea,...If your friends like Texas, show em tha Texas Chain-Saw Massacer. Just kidding, That movie sucked even back in the seventies. ASTA

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home