Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hanabi (fireworks) festival and a huge crowd











So I tried to convince some friends of mine to go to a firework festival in Toyota city with me. Some were already going, but the only friend of mine from the Kaikan that went (note that many are away at something called Japan Tent -they are camping I think?) with me was my Brazilian friend,Celso. Toyota city is a little more than an hour away from the Kaikan by subway (kaikan is the name of the place I live at). I wrote in the title that it was a firework festival, but it is actually a summer festival with fireworks. Anyway, we met our other friends their (you can see pictures of 2 of them in Kimono's-although neither of them are actually Japanese). There were 7 of us all together. The fireworks were great (I captured a few borring ones, and not very well, on my camera-it wasn't ment to take pictures this way, but I posted them anyways). There were various types of Japanese festival foods (which many are the same as American fair food: fried corn, sausage on a stick, french fries, snowcones, etc...). I had some fried octopus dumplings. Anyway, more importantly was the huge number of people that were there. It was awful fighting the croud (and I stick out a little, that didn't make me feel that good). I cannot really describe the huge crowd. I the fireworks were great, but I don't want to go to a festival that crowded again. There were some interesting sights, such as an old lady with blue hair, people walking around in Kimonos with MacD's bags and crosses and tattoos at the same time. One person that I took a picture of was dressed like a gesture. Tons of interesting things (and by things I mean the way some people dressed). It's kind of interesting. I would say that overall I really enjoyed the festival (there were a lot of foreigners, like myself, there). The awful part came when it was time to leave. Everybody wanted to take the subway home. It took us forever to get to the platform. When we did, I went to the other side of the wicket and waited for my friends (a couple of them were with me, but they went back to get something from my other friends who sat down to wait for the croud to subside). I waited for a long time and then they stopped letting people in to the station. I thought they were at the maximum that they could let on the rest of the trains returning that night. So as quickly as I could, I e-mailed my friends letting them know what I thought was happening. Around the 3rd e-mail my phones battery finally gave out (it was on it's 3rd day of battery life). Oh no! I'll never be able to find them in this croud I thought. Last e-mail I received they were at Starbucks for a moment, but I don't know where that is. Should I leave the station and go look for them. I'm not just going to leave them here by themselves over night. A taxi would be to expensive to take home and it is to far to walk. What should I do??? Well, what else could I do? I got on the subway and went home leaving them there. It would have been pointless to search for them. I stick out, but I don't shine like the sun. Without a phone I couldn't find them. They wouldn't even know I was looking for them. Finally when I got back about 1.15 hours later I had a friend e-mail Celso to find out what was going in. I put my phone on the charger and started using it to text everyone that I thought was still at the festival. Luckily, my guess that they stopped letting people in because they would not be able to fit everyone on the rest of the trains was wrong. Maybe they had reached the max aloud for that station. My friends were able to make it back with no problem about 30 min. after I arrived. Good. I would have felt bad if I learned that I had abandoned them and I was the only one to make it back. That would have seemed wrong on my part.

Anyways, yesterday was Celso's 25th Birthday. So, if you read this article..."Happy Texas Birthday," I had to put Texas in their because I read your comment and I know how much you like to hear TEXAS. セソルくんはテキサスが大好きだよ。大丈夫だよ。認めなさい。 That was a little message for Celso.

Starting tomorrow, I am going on a lab trip somewhere north of Nagoya. We are going to a Japanese style hotel next to the Sea of Japan. It should be fun I think. I plan on bringing my camera so the next article you will be able to see the pictures I think. I had a seminar from 9am to 5pm on Monday and Tuesday so I did not get to go to Japanese class. On Thurday and Friday I wont be able to go either. I'm making friends with the Korean girls in my class, but I keep thinking that there is no point in making friends with them since they will be leaving next Tuesday to go home. I don't really think that it is worth making friends with people that I will only know for a few days. I will kind of miss class with them. Atleast they are mature, unlike my previous class. I look forward to going to class now.
I have not got around to posting pictures for the other article yet, because I have not returned to Kanayama. When I do, I will post them. And, if you have read this far Celso, I have something to say to you. Actually, I have one think to say, but I want to say it many many times: TEXAS x 100 (I didn't feel like writing it 100 times.)
Well, that is all for now. I will write an article when I return over the weekend I think. And here is the quote of the month. It is one that has already appeard on my blog once before, but it is one of my favorites:
This is from Einstein trying to explain relativity to normal people:
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit next to a pretty girl for a hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

The quote of the day is by the famous Astronomer (even NASA named a space craft after him)
Christian Huygens:
"The World is my Country, Science my Religion."

See you later mi amigos.
Hasta Luego

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

よう!
もう一度、書きすぎたんじゃない?
俺は俺のメッセージまでしか読まなかった。ちなみにメッセージを書いてくれて,ありがとう!
その日の地下鉄はメッチャヤベエ!でも、皆が無事に帰れたので、ま,いいんじゃない。
じゃね!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You saw fireworks in Toyota!
I think you had a good time.
I wanted to see it,but I can't because I had something to do.

And you'll stay japanese style
hotel!I think it's really good for you.
But Do you like Japanese food?
I think Japanese style hotel has REAL japanese food.
Though I'm a Japanese,I can't eat some japanese food.
I think you should stay hotel which famous for that food.
Have fun!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear nephew, one never knows where lifes journey will take us. One thing i have learned is that you will come across many people. They are put in your path for a reason. If you have the chance to meet, talk, and even befreind a person such as the young laidies from Korea, even if only for a day or two, than by all means, DO IT ! It may not seem like much, but it is something you (not to mention they) will never forget. You may have been thier only chance in ever meeting someone from Texas.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home