Tuesday, September 19, 2006

We had Tacos at the Kaikan





Hello again. This will probably be my last article until I move into my new apartment (which means until the beginning of October I think). A while back, my father sentme 2 packages of Taco Bell Dinner tacos from America. I requested them because the tacos here in Japan are a bit different (I don't like them as much). Some of my friends have never had tacos, so I thought I had to help them. Paul (my friend from Equador) and I made the tacos last Monday. It was pretty fun. You can see a friend of mine from Palestine eating one of the tacos. Finally, I got to eat something that was American style once again (I know that tacos are from Mexico). I think the meat that we used was imported from Indonesia. Which is a little strange I thought because I thought that a lot of people in Indonesia were Hindu. And I am sure that in that religion cows are sacred (infact, they are worshiped). I think it is a little ironic in a way. Anyways, I think the tacos were good and my friends said they liked them too. It was pretty fun. I've posted more photos of the trip to Shirakawa. It's faster on my lab computer so I decided to post them there. I have been doing experiments in the lab for the last few days so I have not had that much time. My language exchange friend is away in New York right now, so I cannot do that this week. However, I'm meeting with another friend to help her with English and I usually learn some Japanese when I do that (even though her English is better than my Japanese). Almost everyone's English here is better than my Japanese. I think it is because they study English for many years in school. In other contries, where the official language is not Enlgish, they study English a lot. They say that it is because if you know English you can go anywhere in the world. I guess I have to agree because they would know more about it than I would.

By the way, do you remember when I wrote that my Japanese friends don`t like Dr. Pepper, well that is still true, but I found out that they do like RC cola. I brought one for them to the lab today and they said that it was good. So, no DP but RC and CC is OK.

Next week there is a drinking party in my lab. After what happend on the lab trip (if you read the article you know) I am skeptical about attending. Maybe I will pretend to drink. Now that I have been here a while I can say that there are good things about Japan that I like, but there are things about America that I miss. Since I grew up there I will never really be completely able to adjust to life here without feeling a little out of place. But there are things about Japan that I really like too. Some days it's not that great (and I HATE paper work, somebody should take care of that for me) for various reasons (and I can't even speak that well yet). When I return to America for a visit I will have to get my friends gifts from America it is a custom here. I am still trying to decide what, since cowboy hats would be to expensive to get all of them. While I thinking of that, 2 of my friends birthdays are coming up and I don't know what to get either of them (kind of a problem). I have a ton of formalities to go through once again. Paper work for a seminar, paper work for the apartment contract, paper work for scholarship purposes, etc... But right now I have to go help one of my friends with English (I say have to, but actually its fun talking with her and I usually learn something). Hope that you enjoy the pictures, I only posted them because I think they are funny! If you knew my Palastinian friend you would think it was funny too. Here is, as always the quote of the day:
It is by Sir Isaac Newton. It is one of his more famous quotes
"I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the searshore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
All though perhaps the smartest guy the ever to have walked the face of the planet, he was kind of a jerk and by the amount of lead they found in his hair (which means he tasted a lot of lead as a scientist) he was probably insane. I should explain that in his younger years, Newton experimented in chemistry. Back in that day to find out the type of metals the chemists were using, they would taste them. This is why he had some much lead in his system.

That's all for a while.
See ya'll around.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, first of all, let me say that the quality of your photos are much improved! Sorry i haven't written; i had to go out and collect alot of aluminum cans in order to pay this months internet fee.So, glad you found a place. Really hope you can make it home.Don't worry about what to get your amigo's as a gift, i will be glad to help out. Let's see.......we need something that says Texas,no...Shouts TEXAS. I also understand that you are on a fixed income (Boy do i understand that).A hornytoad would be good, or maybe a horsebiscut,(i have an endless supply of them),How bout the marble from a gaspergoo? Armadillo egg,fireant farm,mesquite beans, come see me about the Rattlesnake eggs. Those are always a hit.We can also send back some cute little mesquite trees kinda like Bonzi trees. So about this drinking party; you know, what i would do (given the effects of the last time YOU tried to drink ) is step up and volenteer to be then designated BARTENDER. Think about it. First, if anyone asks, you are taking a medication and the Dr. said DO NOT drink alcohoic beverages of any kind. Who is gonna argue with that? Second,don't worry about not knowing how to mix drinks. The first time they order them, let them tell you how they like em. After that mix em how you want, they won't know the differance because by now the party is rockin. At this point you can put all that lab time to use. Start expiermenting. Mix a little of this with that, a whole lot of that with the other, you get the picture.I have done this successfully. You will have a blast (no pun intended). And nobody will remember the next day except you. ( p.s. get camera ready for really good blackmale pictures.) Remember to let the smoke and fizz die down before serving. Well, that's about all the time i have. Good luck at bartending, keep me posted, and, if something happens, remember to use your ONE phone call to your DAD. He makes more than me!



Remember: Don't sqaut whith your spurs on.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,long time no see.
Thank you for your answer.
You said you start writing essay since 2nd grade,but what does it mean?It means Elementary school,donesn't it?
Japan may be also the same.
Um...,but there is big difference between Japan and America in Education.
For example,we don't have a system like Grade-skipping.
If children are same age,they have to stay same grade,even though there is difference in their ability.
I don't know which is better America or Japan,but both has advantage and disadvantage,I think.

Now,I'm glad to hear you had good time in Shirakawa-go,a World heritage in Japan.
I've never go there,but I want to see it.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben,
I don't know if I would take any of those gift ideas from Uncle Rick, but hey if you're brave why not. So when are you supposed to be coming down here? I got you card and the picture you sent through Dad. Looks like your whole family is going to be in the medical field. I am thinking of retiring though, ha ha, I wish. Well looks like Japan is pretty fun, i thought I was going to die this summer with all 105 degree heat. Well I am just chillin at work and finally got your blog site correct. Was that a margarita I saw you pretending to drink?? Well at least it looked real.
Hopefully your move into your new apartment goes smooth, I could send you some American deco if I knew the address. Well football is tomorrow and my team has got a big game, so Go Colts, Steelers didn't do so well last week, but you didn't hear it from me. Well try not to get stumbling drunk at your wild party-maybe it is a good time to perfect your acting skills. Well I should probably go and at least try to pretend like I am working. Later, Jen (the older sister)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hello everyone that left a comment.

To Miho, yes I ment that we start writing essays in the 2nd grade of elementary school. By the way, I'm glad you had a good time in Europe and I hope you made lots of friends.

To Uncle Rick, I am sorry to here about your financial difficulties. I'm sure things will improve for you. As for the gift ideas, well... I'll consider them(with the exception of the horntoad, since it is illegal to touch a horntoad in Texas). Also, about the blackmail pictures, I had already thought of that before you said anything and I recharged my camera battery the other night. As for bartending, it is pretty much just can drinks so I don't think I will be able to convince them to let me mix them for them. Anyways, it's good to hear from you.

To Jen, long time no hear or see. Glad you know you got my blog address correct. Is this what you do at work??? Look at blogs I mean??? Poor old Mrs. Miller, who was cooking on the griller on her old rusted up stove, is down the hall with some matter running down her nose (it's an inside thing, I think only Jen will understand this one) and you are looking at pictures on my blog... Good for you. Anyways, I ment to send that card a long time ago for your B-Day, but I was just kind of busy. My address is not know even to me yet (I forgot it). Well, leave a comment anytime (and I don't know when I'm coming down). See you around.
-Ben

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well looky here ya,ll. THE Jen has decided to talk to Ben via his blog adress. THAT IS GREAT.We miss ya girl. Ben, leave your sis alone about what she does at work. We nurses are required to spend a certain amount of time on the computer researching stuff.(not really) But if we were, i would much rather check out your blog than Dr. Phil any day.By the way, can you really trust a guy who uses his first name after his title instead of his last name? Why not Dr. McGraw?.......Hmmmm, I was a PhD also you know? That right, A Post Hole Digger. That's funny right there, i don't care who you are! Jen,..Love you girl, Ben,.....get back to work in the lab, and come see us!


Thought: Why does it mean the same thing when you say Fat chance And Slim chance?

I always said when i was in certain classes in school that " i'll never need this stuff when i grow up" and boy was i ever right. Whata ya mean i'm not grown up?


"don't spit yer tabacky into tha wind"

7:59 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hello Uncle Rick, I'm not sure if you will check the comment box on this article again or not but I will post this anyways. To answer the "Thought" question you had: One is said in a sarcastic way and the other is said literally (although I guess it may have changed over the years-I looked it up). Hey, guess what...I found burritos at 7-11 convenience store and torttia chips and dip. Also there are cinnimon rolls there. And since 7-11 comes from Texas I guess I expect nothing less. Anyways, depending on how things go, maybe I will be down in time for Christmas or maybe not. later.
-ben

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home