Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I Went to Tokyo and a Friend is Returning Home

I went to a conference in Tokyo last week, mostly about semiconductors and nanocrystals and nanowires (that kind of thing), but the conference was entirely in Japanese so I did not get much out of it. Most of the time I didn't even pay attention to what the people were saying. But, more importantly than all of that, I found Dr. Pepper in Tokyo. In fact, it is very popular in Tokyo it seems, since it is available at almost every vending machine. There are two main differences: (1) it is bottled by Coca Cola, (2) they have a different mascot on the can (as in the U.S. it is Peggy Pepper, in Japan it is a bit different of a character->I put up a picture so you can see).




The first day after the conference I had to find my way to my hotel (all the way on the other side of Tokyo). The subway system in Tokyo is not as convenient. In fact, one has to use the JR train system as much as the subway and they do not put the maps of the JR trains and the subway together (even though the systems are integrated). Of course, I got a little lost and it took me about 2 hours to get to my hotel. I went to the so called "Western" resturant at the hotel and it only served Italian food (they should have said Italian resturant on the web-site). Also, contary to the sign outside, I was not able to get the waffles that were advertised (I was a little disappointed).
But, the next day, I had to get back to the conference by 10am. So, to make sure I wasn't late I left the hotel at around 7:45. Unfortunately, this put me in the middle of Tokyo rush hour (which I have herd stories about even in America). As I got closer to Tokyo station the train was becoming more and more crowded. Yes, it's true, they pack you in so tight in the train car that you can't even move. However, I was lucky enough to be taller than everyone, so I had my own breathing air (everyone else had a more musky environment).
After the conference, some friends and I went to something called the Ramen Museum, were I was able to try Ramen from all over Japan. It was pretty fun (it's in Shinyokoyama). I took a picture of it (below). It's suppose to look like a scene from the 1950's in Tokyo. We had to hurry though to catch the Shinkansen(bullet train) going back to Nagoya. I would have like to have stayed at the museum for a little longer.

Finally, just yesterday I went back to the Hard Rock Cafe in Nagoya(picture below). This time to celebrate a friend returning to her home country of Brazil. I went to Village Vanguard and got her a few Texas themed gifts (a Texas licence plate that was made into a CD holder and a cowboy gun liter). I guess it will be sad to see her go. She told me that she wanted to stay in Japan because it is convenient and also because her town in Brazil was not so great. She did tell me a few things that she didn't like about Japan (and I think I can agree with her on those things), but they were rather small things like: even if you complain about something nothing is done (people just smile and are polite about it), you can't really tell if someone is being nice because they like you or just because they are suppose to be, and the strict formalities. But, her overall experience of Japan was rather good I think (or so she told me). As I said, she didn't want to leave Japan. (In the picture, she is sitting next to her Japanese boyfriend who is in the pink shirt.) Actually, she is half Japanese herself.


Today there is a drinking party in my lab. I don't really want to go, but I think I'm suppose to. I'm sure after the drinking party, there will be another party (which I think I can talk my way out of). Although I am at the lab, today is a holiday in Japan (Spring Equinox). It is actually a really nice day (the first one we have had in a while).
On Saturday, some friends and I are going to go to Universal Studios in Osaka. Also, we will visit some other famous places in Osaka. I was told by one of my Japanese friends that Osaka is not a very clean city and that a lot of things are old and dirty. I guess I will see if she is right this weekend. Of course, I plan on taking picture of the places that we visit in Osaka and posting them on my blog. I think we are also going to the castle in Osaka (which was destroyed and then rebuilt, so it is not really that ancient of a castle. Still, I'm glad that it was rebuilt).
Well, I guess that is all for today. By the way, Uncle Rick, if your reading this (I tried to send you an E-mail, but I don't think it worked, so I sent you some snail mail instead). As always, I'm glad to see anyones comment. See ya'll around. Adios.
Quote of the day is by Abraham Lincoln (not a physics, but that's okay):
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Catch ya'll next time. Later.
-Ben

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ben!!!!!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so this #*#**# computer is really making me upset.(note the choice of words:i didn't say pissed off.)Ben ihave been trying to respond to you via this blog site but it say's i have illegal URL characters.It has always worked before. Anyway,,,,,I was trying really hard to appoligize to Miho if i hurt her feelings.....Miho,GOMEN.I was trying to say something positive! I think that people who can paint are really talented. What i meant that day was this: If you told me to paint a NEZUMI i would paint a tree! THAT is what i think it means.NOW THEN,...after you you told me it was a mouse, i would do my best to paint you the best mouse you had ever seen.I use this as a motivatoinal tool. It makes it fun for people to learn something new. I hope you understand what i mean! I guess i am just way to wise for my own good,......that is why they call me..CONFUSEDOUS ! (Ben will help if needed.)
OjiRick


And so i must bid thee farewell, tis my last beer. Parting is such sweet sorrow. ! JESTER BRING ME ANOTHER 12 pak.

QUOTE: Two actually from the GOOD BOOK! These are a couple of commandments::Texas style:...

Don't take what ain't yours
Don't be hankerin for yer buddy's gal.


Rick: Sarcasm is a wonderful thing,
where would we be w/o it?
Just check out some of your commercials on t.v.."Can you hear me now?"

11:47 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Uncle Rick. I don't think you really needed to apologize, I'm sure she understood that you were just joking. It's just that there is no equivalent to the way we speak in Japanese, so she won't exactly get your meaning. As I found out, it is probably best to use standard English when speaking with non-native English speakers. I got your E-mail. Thanks. I'm going to try to come down this summer, but I doubt that I will be able to! Of course, if I do return for a while, I will have to come and visit everyone. I think it was a nice gesture to look up Japanese words and use them. I think she will understand this time. Anyways, it's late and I need to go to sleep. Stop by anytime. Of course, I like reading your comments. See you around.
-Ben

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Rick.
Rick, you don't have to appologize.
I just couldn't understand the words or phrases ment at first.
Joking in foreign language is so difficult for me. I can't make a joke in English.
I mean, If I crack a joke, you may feel it as an sarcasm, abuse, somethig like that. I'm afraid of misunderstanding as you did.
Of course, I know that you just had a joke. Please never mind. I really think it was nice talking with you on the internet.

Ben, Congratulations on your sister's graduation! I read your article above. It was pretty interesting. Well, how many sisters and brothers do you have? Have I ever asked you this question?
By the way, I agree with you about the tickets of USJ. That is an inefficient way to buy "REAL" ticket at the entrance. It makes absolutely no sence to me, too. I can't understand why they should do that.
As for the USJ's rides, I don't think it's nice because it was not so scary. I love rides like roller coaster. So I like Nagashima better than USJ even if USJ has a fancy atmosphere that has wide appeal for female. Have you ever been to Nagashima? If you are interested in it, please go to this website "http://www.nagashima-onsen.co.jp/data/e1_1.html". They have an amusement park, pools, and shopping center. I think the amusement park and pools are pretty fun. It takes around 45 minutes to go to Nagashima from Nagoya sta. I know you want to save your money to go back to your hometown, but you should go there if you like.
Now, I have to go to a pharmacy to work soon. Thank you for coming to my blog so often and I like reading your article, too. Lately I can read your comment easier than before. I owe my progress to you.

See you then,
Miho

12:46 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Miho. As always, thanks for the comment. I think that your English has improved, but I don't think it is because of me. Your comments are very easy for me to understand. To answer your questions about my siblings, I have 3 sister (1 elder sister and 2 little sisters) and I have 2 step brothers (they are both older than myself). Of course, if you have seen all the pictures that I have put on my blog you have seen all of my sisters. I looked at the Nagashima website. It looks a lot better. I have herd of the roller coaster called 'the Steel Dragon.' I think it is a better theme park than Universal Studios. I want to go when I have time. Near my home in Texas there is a theme park called 'Six Flags Over Texas,' and it has a lot of roller coasters and scary rides (also it is much larger than most theme parks). Maybe Nagashima is like Six Flags Over Texas. Of course, thanks for reading my blog. I will talk to you later. Hope your Spring vacation is going good and that you get to enjoy the Hanami in Nagoya. Later.
-Ben

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home