Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Midterm Exams

I did an article about finals last semester and not midterms...mostly because my midterms were not so bad last semester. This semester it is awful. I think I compared finals to Hell, but without laughter...well, midterms aren't much different. In one of my classes the midterm is worth 30% of my entire grade (thus, if you do bad on it you will not make a good grade in the class), and the professor is being very abstract on what the exam will be over (that class is advanced classical mechanics). In my math methods of physics class, I have a pretty good idea of what will be on the exam, the real problem is it is a difficult subject. It is over the calculus of residues, which is one of the two things I had trouble in when I was an undergraduate. Luckily, that midterm is only worth 20% of my final grade (I feel okay about that test...it's the mechanics test that is worrying me). I think I understand the calculus of residues now, but I'm still having a little trouble with branch points and how to choose the shape of my contour.
Anyways, my mechanics final is worth 50% OF MY FINAL GRADE!!! That means no matter how good I did on the entire class, I can still screw my grade up completely on the final day of class...I don't agree with this! But, then again, I'm not teaching the class (and to be fair, neither is the professor in my opinion).
My two exams are back to back (one on Thursday and one on Friday). That's making things pretty difficult right now. Luckily they forgot to hit me with their car before this started (what other way could they make this worst?), so I guess there is a good side to this. I will have to update my blog after this week is over.
On Saturday I am going to my family reunioun (the Czech side). It is held in West, Texas (West is the name of the town...it is actually in Central Texas) where most of my family is from.
Anyways, I have to go to class soon. Next time I will try and post articles of my trip to WestFest and also my family reunioun. Adios for now.
(Sorry, no picturers).
-Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home