Monday, May 26, 2008

Back to Japan


(The Dog Days of May)
Well, here I am again...back in Japan. I remember that I left because I didn't like certain things about it. Well, this time I'm on a different fellowship and studying photonics. But, things are still the same here. Today we had to give a presentation (a self introduction presentation) along with members of various labs. After the presentations, we found out that we have to attend a conference later on today at Izumo city and that we need to meet at the main gate of Shimane University at 4pm to leave with everyone else. So, once again the amount of notice that we were give was only a few hours. It kind of upsets me when they don't tell me stuff in advance...but maybe that's just me.
Anyways, I think the residence that we (Myself and the 2 other guys that came with me) was pretty good, but it has a Japanese style toilet. I don't know if you know what that looks like, but let me describe it to you....a hole in the ground that you use the restroom in. I can't make it sound any better than that. Well, I wasn't thrilled about it, but the other two were very offended by it. One of them is even trying to get the international student center to install a western style toilet in the residence (rather successfully I might add). Anyways, long story short, the other two people are rather unhappy. One of them made a board with 51 days marked on it and is counting down the days that we have until we return back. I'm doing fine though. Speaking Japanese really helps. I navigated our way around Japan thus far. We went from Dallas to San Francisco airport, from San Fran to Tokyo-Narita airport, from Narita we took a bus to Haneda airport, and from Haneda we went to Izumo airport (where the professor picked us up and we went to the residence with the Japanese style toilet that I already mentioned). We traveled more than 24 hours straight.
I'm feeling pretty good because I get to go back to Nagoya over the weekend and visit my friends. If I'm told that there is something I have to do over the weekend at Shimane, I'm going to completely ignore it a go to Nagoya anyways (I already made the plans). My excuse is that I don't work over holidays (Memorial Day...it doesn't matter if it's true or not...which it's not). The city that I'm at right now, Matsue, isn't that bad. It's in the country...which I like more (I don't like living in Japanese cities).
Anyways, I took the people that came to Japan with me out to eat at a Chinese place last night for dinner. They liked it for the most part. We had gyoza and harumake (gyoza is like meat and some vegi's wrapped in rice paper...they look like dumplings, and harumaki is like an egg roll...just smaller).
Is it bad to not care that the other two guys arn't having a good time here?..I don't know why, but my feelings are kind of split over it...It's too bad that they arn't having a good time, but it doesn't really bother me a lot. I knew they wouldn't have a great time here, but I hope they can make the most of their time. Since one is origonally from Poland, maybe he can appriciate a different culture more.
I don't know what they are going to do when I'm gone over the weekend. I don't plan on taking them with me. I showed them where they can go to get a little entertainment and sightseeing. Maybe they will take my advice. One thing is for sure, they will have a bit of difficulty getting around without knowing any Japanese.
Well, I've taken pictures of Shimane, but not many yet. I'll do another post soon and post better pictures.

(The Kaikan...the place I'm staying...all Japanese style)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I must agree that the whole toilet thing sucks, but at least you are traveling with stubborn people who know how to make enough noise to get their way. I'm glad that you have something to look forward to. Enjoy your time with your friends, and don't forget to share any pranks you pull. Don't worry about whether your house mates are having fun. It isn't your responsibility. Try to make the best of your time over there. See you in two months.

Stephanie

10:41 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi Stephanie,
I don't really need to set them up in an awkward situation to get enjoyment from it...that will happen even if I do nothing. I don't really care if my house mates are enjoying their time, but I would rather not have to listen to their complaints. I tried to set them up with places to go and things to do over the weekend, but I don't think they are going to try it. I'm pretty sure one of them would just like to sleep the entire time they are in Japan so that the time passes by faster.
I guess we will see how it goes. If nothing else, I will have a pretty good time (since I only have to be here for 2 months).
Adios

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home